Next year, the World Cetacean Alliance (WCA) is holding a number of intensive 5-day training programmes to become a certified WCA Responsible Whale Watching Guide. The dates of the first two courses are outlined below.
Dates: Monday 22nd to Friday 26th January 2018
Monday 19th to Friday 23rd February 2018
Location: WCA Headquarters, Brighton, UK
WCA’s Responsible Whale Watching Guide Course
The course will include:
- WCA Responsible Whale Watcher course and certification
- Lectures and training from seasoned professionals, including WCA CEO Dylan Walker; Ian Rowlands from WhaleFest and Incredible Oceans
- Education Activities
- Guide training
- Communication and presentation sessions
- Practical activities, including boat work
- Final presentation/assessment
After successful completion of the course, participants will be placed on a database of qualified guides from where WCA Partners and affiliates will be able to select suitable candidates for internships and guiding opportunities. Any successful placement will be subject to the terms and conditions of the WCA Partner or affiliate.
- Limited places available, so early registration is strongly encouraged
- Please send a full CV (maximum two pages) and a cover letter, including: previous experience, why you would like to participate in the course and, what you hope to achieve after completing the course, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications for both courses will be open until 7th December 2017 and places will be confirmed by 14th December 2017. Full payment will be required by 31st December to secure your place on the course.
- Successful applicants will receive a welcome pack, including a WCA t-shirt
- A participation fee of £350 is required from all successful candidates, with a 10% discount for students and WCA members (£315). Refunds will not be given in respect of any cancellations made after 1st January 2018 for the January course or 1st February 2018 for the February course. Refunds will be made in respect of cancellations made before this date, but will be subject to a £50 cancellation fee.
- Accommodation, travel and food expenses must be covered by the participants, but we can work with successful candidates to find something suitable
- Whilst the course is open to all, the content is aimed at participants wishing to become marine guides and educators rather than those already experienced in these areas.
To apply, please email Lynne Burrell at: email@example.com